Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Curried Chicken Shephed's Pie

First of all, anyone have any tips on photographing a casserole?!  That was not an easy task!  No matter what I did, my dish just looked like a sloppy, gloppy mess!  Is gloppy a word?  I don't think so.  Don't let the pictures deter you from making this shepherd's pie though...it is delicious!  

What do you think of when you hear the term comfort food?  I have heard it in relation to foods like pot roast, grilled cheese sandwiches, fried chicken, those types of foods.  For me, shepherd's pie is the ultimate comfort food.  I had never had a shepherd's pie until I met my husband.  It was one of the first dishes that his mom served when I started joining their family for Sunday dinner.  Though a little nervous about the combination of green beans, potatoes and hamburger at first, I was hooked after one bite.  Now that we are living away from our families and no longer able to join either of them for Sunday dinner, I now consider things like my mother-in-law's shepherd's pie and my mom's sloppy joes and baked beans to be pure, down-right delicious comfort foods.  If there is one thing I hate about living far from family, it is missing those Sunday dinners, at either my parent's house or my in-law's.  I wish we could be there every week.  But since we can't, its my job to serve up those comfort dishes to my little family, and since I like to try new things, I decided to switch it up a little bit and try out a twist on the old (and well beloved) shepherd's pie...and this is it...Curried Chicken Shepherd's Pie.  Tender pieces of chicken breast, are enveloped in a slightly spicy, chicken broth based sauce, mixed in with tender vegetables and covered up by buttery and creamy mashed potatoes.  I thought this dinner was amazingly delicious!  

So tell me what are some of your favorite comfort foods?!

Curried Chicken Shepherd's Pie

This recipe calls for cooked chicken and prepared mashed potatoes...so plan ahead!  This would be a great recipe to use up some left over mashed potatoes.

1 large onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
1-1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 teaspoon milk

In a large skillet, sauge onion and celery in 1 Tablespoon of butter until tender.  Add frozen vegetables and remaining butter.  Cook for 2 minutes longer.

Stir in flour and curry powder until blended; gradually add broth and milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.  Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper.

Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.  Top with potatoes and sprinkle paprika over the top.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees, for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

Recipe Source:  Adapted ever so slightly from Taste Of Home 

You may find this recipe linked up at these parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! I read every single comment and I really appreciate them! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...