Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chicken & Spinach Lasagna


I love lasagna.   It would be fair to say, actually, that I absolutely adore all things Italian.  Carbohydrates are among my greatest weaknesses.  I could eat pasta, pizza, and breads of any type all day every day.  No exaggeration.  Those restaurants that serve all-you-can-eat bread at the beginning of your meal (think Olive Garden or Johnny Carino's) are my most favorite places in the world to eat.  Anyway, I love a good old fashion lasagna filled with beef or sausage, but I have also fallen in love with this recipe.  It is still a red sauce lasagna, but with a slight twist.  Instead of the traditional browned sausage or beef, this is filled with shredded chicken.  Add that to the feta, mozzarella cheese, and creamy ricotta/cottage cheese/spinach mixture, and you have a winning combination.  My husband Jason was never a lasagna lover (when he was young, he hated anything made with noodles!  Weirdo!!), so I was a little nervous for his reaction when I served this up the first time.   Turns out, I had no need to fear...he loved it and has since asked for it many times!  We really love this lasagna and I think you will too!

Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
*This recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups cooked chicken, so plan accordingly.  I usually just boil my chicken breasts with some broth and then shred when it is done.  I know there are several other popular methods like this one or this one.  To make your life even easier, you could simply shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken.

1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, chopped
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
9-12 uncooked lasagna noodles
3 1/2 cups cooked, chopped or shredded chicken
4 cups favorite pasta sauce
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 cups packed shredded mozzarella
dried or fresh parsley for garnishing (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, cottage cheese, spinach and egg, oregano and black pepper.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.  Drain.  Rinse with cold water and drain again.  Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.  To assemble lasagna, spoon 1 cup of sauce over bottom of pan.  Arrange 4 lasagna noodles, 3 lengthwise, 1 crosswise,  (I never use the crosswise noodle and it works great), over sauce.  Top noodles with another 1 cup of sauce, followed by 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the feta, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.  Arrange 4 more lasagna noodles (or 3, if you choose), followed by 1 cup of sauce, 1/3 of the chicken, all of the ricotta/spinach mixture, 1/3 of the feta, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.  Repeat layering with 3 or 4 more noodles, sauce, chicken, feta, and mozzarella.  Sprinkle with parsley over the top.  Cover loosely with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 

Recipe Source:  Adapted from Taste of Home

I linked up to these great blogs:

Addicted to Recipes
Mom's Test Kitchen
Jam Hands
Skip To My Lou
Pint Sized Baker
Inside BruCrew Life
Reasons To Skip the Housework
My Girlish Whims
Lil' Luna

21 comments:

  1. Heather I love your blog! I tried the roasted chicken recipe yesterday it was wonderful! Can't wait to try more of your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky!! That is one of our favorites too! I'm so glad you liked it! I appreciate you coming back here to tell me!

      Delete
  2. This looks so yummy! Saw you over at Pint Sized Baker's link party and had to stop by and check out this recipe :)

    I would love for you to link up this weekend! Party starts early Friday morning http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    Shauna {The Best Blog Recipes}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be there to link up for sure! Thank you for inviting me!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and linking up! This recipe looks so delicious and I can't wait to try it :)

      Hope to see you again next weekend @The Weekend re-Treat

      Delete
  3. Yum! I'm an equal-opportunity-lasagna-lover and have never turned up my nose at any of them! This recipe sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is great! I love your equal-opportunity-lasagna-lover quote! I suppose I am that too!

      Delete
  4. Lasagna is such a great comfort food. I am loving this fun twist on it. It is going on my pin board ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods! Thanks for pinning this! PS...I love your blog!:)

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous idea. Pinned and can't wait to make :) New follower too!

    The Farm Girl
    thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Wish I had a bowl right now :) I hope you'll come share them at my Super Saturday Show & Tell today http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds yummy! Thanks so much for sharing at Pint Sized Baker for Two Cup Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love lasagna! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please add a link back to our page!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lasagna looks delicious! I love using spinach in my lasagna too, and I will have to try it with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, I saw this on Foodie Friends Friday- your photography is lovely! The colors in the lasagna really caught my eye. :)
    ~Joy from Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought about putting chicken in lasagna, great idea! Thanks so much for linking up at Two Girls and a Party!
    We hope to see you back every Wednesday to link up and check our featured blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you all the way...life is not living without carbs! This looks so good! Love that you used chicken instead of beef.

    Thanks for linking up to What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this recipe! Thanks for visiting Addicted to Recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using? I'm planning to
    start my own blog soon but I'm having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.
    P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I
    had to ask!

    Also visit my weblog: click through the following website

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! I read every single comment and I really appreciate them! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...